Student Accommodations

More Information

HUB Office 811
Phone: 906.217.4017
Fax: 906.217.1611
The Office of Accessibility (formerly the Student Success Office) utilizes principles presented by AHEAD as guidelines for determining accommodations for students. The process is addressed on an individual, case-by-case basis, according to a student's specific recommended accommodations. For more information, visit the AHEAD website.

Differences Between High School & College

Just because you have a specific disability does not automatically make you eligible for a specific accommodation. Also, there are differences between secondary (high school) and post secondary (college) disability services.

High School


IDEA provides opportunities to succeed in school. ADA and Sections 504 & 508 provide access to school.
Education is a Right and must be accessible to you. Education is not a Right. College is voluntary and has costs.
Core modifications of classes required.  Modifications cannot fundamentally alter the nature of a program.
School must identify disability. Student must self-identify to Office of Accessibility (OOA).
Documentation is I.E.P. school provides evaluation at no cost to student. Student provides documentation that meets school's standards. If evaluation is necessary, it's at the student's expense.
School develops I.E.P. Student identifies needs and requests accommodations. No I.E.P.'s or 504 Plan exist at the college level.
Student is assisted by parents and teachers. Student must seek assistance from OOA
School arranges accommodations. Student self-advocates and must arrange for accommodations.
Parent has access to student records. Parent has no access to student records or information without student's written consent.
Parent advocates for student. Student must self-advocate.
Grades may reflect effort, attendance or modified curriculum. There is no "A for effort."
Teachers remind students of assignments and due dates. Professors expect students to read the course syllabus. They may not remind students of upcoming events.

Necessary Documentation Information

At the college level it is each student's responsibility to self-identify needs for their particular accommodation. This is done by first logging in to the student's MyBay account and completing and submitting the online application.  A student then needs to submit the required documentation. After that a discussion will take place with the Director of Office of Accessibility(OOA).

Services and reasonable accommodations are granted to students who complete the Application for the Office of Accessibility and submit complete written documentation of the disability from an appropriate and qualified source. The documentation must be current, preferably within the last three years (the acceptable age of documentation is dependent upon the disabling condition, the current status of the student, and the student’s specific request for accommodation).
For the documentation of the disability to be accepted by the College, the following general requirements must be observed:

Documentation can be from MI Rehab Services, Vet Voc Rehab, Michigan Bureau of Services for Blind Persons, or from a medical doctor. A school plan such as a current individualized educational (IEP) plan or a 504 is insufficient documentation on its own. The report needs to explain and document via formal and informal assessment how the requested accommodation mitigates the impact of the individual’s disability on the specific task or activity
 Please contact the Director of Accessibility or refer to the Bay College Catalog, if you have any questions regarding documentation.

Typical Services Offered

  • Extended time for tests and quizzes
  • Access to distraction reduced environment
  • Note-taking assistance
  • Reading Assistant software
  • The use of a recorder for academic needs
Bay College Main,
2001 N Lincoln Road, Escanaba, MI 49829
906.786.5802 Main Campus Directions