|For more information contact:
Connie Martinsen, M. Ed.
Program Coordinator, Instructor
2001 N Lincoln Road
Escanaba, MI 49829
There is an increased emphasis on the importance of early childhood development and education at both the State and Federal level. Michigan has initiated the Great Start to Quality
program through the MI Department of Education/Office of Great Start & the Early Childhood Investment Corporation. Their efforts to improve the quality of early childhood programming includes a focus on community college early childhood AAS degrees.
Why a Degree in Early Childhood Care and Education?
According to the Michigan Career Outlook for the UP, Preschool teachers are listed in the top ten high-growth occupations requiring an Associate degree, and Child care workers are listed with the occupations that have the largest number of annual job openings. The Early Childhood Care & Education field needs knowledgeable professionals to fill these positions.
Why Bay College for Early Childhood Care and Education?
Degree Options at Bay College
- Bay college provides those interested in early childhood education an opportunity to gain the knowledge and skills needed to work in a variety of early childhood settings including child care centers, head start classrooms, preschools and as a home child care provider.
- All CHLD (Early Childhood) courses are offered online or in the online/hybrid model which requires students to attend seminar sessions every other week of the semester as well as online work.
- The Early Childhood program at Bay College prepares students for earning a Bachelor of Science degree in Early Childhood Education through an articulation agreement with LSSU. All Bachelor degree courses are offered on the Escanaba campus.
The Early Childhood Care & Education program provides two options for students wishing to provide care and education for children ages birth to age eight. Those options include:
: The Certificate program is designed to introduce students to the field of early childhood care and education including health, safety, nutrition, child development, guidance and curriculum for infants, toddlers and preschool age children. The one-year/32 credit certificate includes a 90-hour practicum. All credits earned in the Certificate program apply to the AAS degree in Early Childhood Care and Education.
ASSOCIATE IN APPLIED SCIENCE/AAS DEGREE
: An AAS Degree in Early Childhood Care & Education prepares students to work in a variety of early childhood settings. The curriculum is aligned with the AAS Degree Teacher Preparation Standards issued by the National Association for the Education of Young Children and the Council for Professional Recognition (CDA). Students will plan and implement quality, developmentally appropriate programs for children ages 0-8 in support of physical, cognitive, and social emotional growth and development. Graduates of the associate degree program meet the educational requirements for child care center program directors as required by the Michigan Child Care Center Licensing Regulations.
Persons who complete a certificate or degree may find positions as early childhood teachers in child care centers, preschool programs, Head Start programs and in program administration. Course delivery includes both online and online/hybrid models. The Hybrid courses include required class meetings, scheduled roughly every other week throughout the semester, at the Escanaba campus.
The following courses include practicum hours in an approved early childhood setting: CHLD 103 Curriculum Development and Assessment I (90 hours), CHLD 230 Curriculum Development and Assessment II (90 hours), and CHLD 272 Practicum in Early Childhood (120 hours). Practicum placements are available in Delta, Dickinson, Schoolcraft and Menominee counties. Students enrolling in the above listed courses will be required to complete and submit the following forms on the first day of class: Please click on the links below to access forms.
For those interested in pursuing a 4 year degree please contact the LSSU Escanaba Regional Center
Career Options with an Early Childhood Care and Education Certificate
A certificate prepares you for positions as an assistant teacher in child care centers and preschool programs. A certificate also helps to prepare you to open an in-home family program.
Career Options with an Early Childhood Care and Education AAS Degree
An AAS degree prepares you for Assistant and Lead Teacher positions in the following programs:
- Child Care Centers
- Head Start Programs
- Program Administration
- Family Home Programs
- MDSCAA Early Childhood Program
- Little Light of Mine Preschool Gladstone
- Country School House Escanaba
- YMCA Escanaba/Cameron Elementary School Before and After School Program
- Little Pals Day Care Escanaba
- Gladstone Child Care
- Hannahville Head Start, Child Care, FACE Program
- Bark-River Harris Preschool
- North Central Pre -Kindergarten
- Carney Nadeau Pre- Kindergarten
- Lynn Schoen Powers Home Provider
- Kingsford ISD Willis Center Head Start
- Bishop Baraga Catholic School
- Holy Spirit Central School Norway Preschool
- Woodland Elementary Preschool Kingsford
- AMCAB Head Start Gwinn Center
- St Francis de Sales School Preschool Manistique
- Big Bay de Noc Schools Preschool
Early Childhood Care & Education Related Sites: