BAYAlert Campus Emergency Text Messaging
Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I participate?
If you are a Bay College student, faculty or staff you can sign-up online.
- Can I change my cell phone number?
Yes. Login to BAYAlert and click on the "Services" link at the top of the page to change your account settings.
- How do I Opt-Out (remove myself) from receiving Message Me alerts?
Your account will expire in the Fall of each year. If you would like to be removed prior to that time, please contact the Coordinator of Student Life x1140 with your request.
- Will I receive unsolicited messages ("SPAM") on my mobile phone or email account?
No. Our text messaging provider enforces a ZERO SPAM policy which clearly prohibits unsolicited messages. Further our text messaging provider does not sell or share the contact information of our subscribers to third party marketers.
- Do I need to install software on my phone?
NO. Your mobile phone plan will need to accept text messages to work properly.
- Will this cost me anything?
Maybe. Depending on your wireless carrier provider and the plan you have, you may be charged a nominal fee (i.e approximately 10 or 15 cents) to receive SMS text messages. If you have an unlimited text messaging plan, there would be no additional charge.
- What type of messages will I receive?
As part of the registration process, you will be sent a text message with a 4-digit validation code. Other than an occasional test message, you will not receive a message unless it is an extreme emergency.
- What should I do when I receive a message?
Comply with the instructions provided and spread the word.
- What should I do if I did not receive a validation text message?
You should contact the Coordinator of Student Life x1140. We will investigate the cause.
- The system indicates that my username is already in use. What should I do?
Try to login to BAYAlert to determine if you've already signed up. IF you've forgotten your password, use the "Forgot password?" link beneath the login form to retrieve it.
- What should I do if I receive a 5-digit validation code instead of a 4-digit validation code?
You will only receive a 4-digit code which is always located at the bottom of the text message. The 4-digit code is always labeled as "CODE". You will need to completely scroll to the end of the text message.
- Why did I receive a "truncated' message?
Contact your cellular service provider to obtain information with regard to email limitations.
- What should I do if I mistyped my phone number during set-up?
Login to BAYAlert and click on the "Services" link at the top of the page to change your account settings.
- Why did I receive an incorrect validation code message?
You will receive this message if you have requested the validation code multiple times. You should only request the code once from BAYAlert.
- Can I sign-up others for this service?
No - Users of the BAYAlert Message system can have up to two cell phones numbers registered. So if you wanted a spouse or parent to get emergency notifications, for example, you could register their cell phone in addition to yours.
- I received a message that indicates that I do not have text messaging on my phone. What should I do?
Contact your cellular service provider to obtain text messaging information.
If you have questions or need information, contact us at x1140 from any campus phone or email firstname.lastname@example.org