Bay College is an accredited institution
Bay de Noc Community College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC), an independent corporation and one of two commission members of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA), which is one of six regional institutional accreditors in the United States. The Higher Learning Commission accredits degree-granting post-secondary educational institutions in the North Central region.
Bay de Noc Community College was accredited in 1976 and was admitted to HLC’s Academic Quality Improvement Program (AQIP) model for accreditation on February 13, 2004. In 2018 the Higher Learning Commission started the process of phasing out the AQIP structure, replacing it with the Open Pathway. In September 2018 Bay College adopted the new Open Pathway structure. While a new framework has been adopted the college continues to use many AQIP principles; quality improvement processes, structured goal-setting, networking, and accountability activities.
Statement of Affiliation
The Institutional Actions Council (IAC) of the Higher Learning Commission at its meeting on February 12, 2018, took action to continue the accreditation of Bay de Noc Community College with the next Reaffirmation of Accreditation in or before 2025-2026.STATEMENT OF AFFILIATION
Open Pathway Accreditation Roadmap
The Open Pathway structure requires the institution to submit an Assurance Review in year 4 (2021-22). This review provides the college the opportunity to reflect upon its strengths, distinctions, successes, and opportunities for improvement. The Assurance Review is assessed and critiqued by peers through the Higher Learning Commission. Feedback is then communicated within the institution and improvements are made. The Assurance Review includes a complete evaluation and supporting Evidence Files showing the institution is meeting ALL criteria for accreditationOPEN PATHWAY ROADMAP
Program Certifications and Accreditations
- Automotive Technology - Bay College's Automotive Technology Program has been Master Certified with the Automotive Service Excellence Education Foundation since 1999 and was recommended for recertification in January 2005.
- Computer Network Systems and Security - The Computer Network Systems and Security program at Bay College is the only computer security or information assurance program in Michigan's Upper Peninsula accredited by the National Security Agency (NSA). The 4011 InfoSec Professional certificate is recognized by federal agencies as the "gold standard" in cybersecurity.
- Nursing - The Bay de Noc Community College License Practical Nursing Certificate and the Associate Degree in Nursing program is approved by the Michigan Board of Nursing. The Associate Degree in Nursing program is also accredited with conditions by the Accrediting Commission for the Education of Nurses (ACEN).
- EMT/Paramedic - The Bay College EMT and Paramedic Programs have been reaccredited by the State of Michigan for an additional 3 years, with the next accreditation review in 2021. Bay College has also been approved for EMS continuing education credits for this same time period.
- Early Childhood Education AAS Degree Program at Bay College is accredited by the Commission on the Accreditation of Early Childhood Higher Education Programs of the National Association for the Education of Young Children, 1313 L Street, NW, #500, Washington, DC 20005. 202-232-8777. The accreditation term runs from July 2019 through July 2021.