Transfer to Bay College

Thinking about transferring to Bay College? You can request that credits earned at another institution be transferred to Bay College.

Transfer from Bay College

Thinking about transferring to another institution? You can send your Bay College transcripts to other institutions and request transfer of credits to that school.

Course Equivalencies

The Michigan Transfer Network website provides quick and easy data on how your Bay courses will transfer within Michigan institutions.


Transfer Agreements

The Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA) is designed to facilitate the transfer of general education requirements between participating Michigan institutions with 30 credits of lower-level general education from the sending institution being accepted as a block by the receiving institution.

Michigan Transfer Network

Your industry credentials hold significant value! You may be eligible to receive college credit for over 500 professional certifications/credentials.


Transfer FAQ

Your transfer questions answered.

Students who plan to transfer should be following the Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree programs. The general approved electives in these programs generally are courses that a student would select based off of the transfer institution's transfer guides and/or the required courses which would be part of the student's bachelor degree.

Not all Bay College courses transfer. Only those courses designed to transfer receive credit at most universities. Some courses are not designed to transfer, such as developmental or remedial courses. Other courses in the certificate program and Associate in Applied Science degrees are designed to train students for employment, not for transfer. Many of Bay's courses will transfer. However, the student must also ask: Will this course transfer into my major if I change majors while at Bay? Example: The student begins taking accounting courses such as AC 101, Principles of Accounting I, and then decides to change majors and declares a Engineering major. AC 101 would transfer, however, it would not apply to the Engineering degree requirements.

Course equivalencies for Michigan schools are available online at

Each transfer institution must decide how a Bay College course will transfer. Students can consult with the transfer admissions office for assistance. Bay College's catalog is on our website and course descriptions are easily viewed. If syllabi are required, Bay can provide the transfer institution with this information.

Transfer guides are available online through the universities website. The student will need to know which major and which university to find the appropriate guide. Visit

Not necessarily. Different institutions have different requirements. Transfer guides are designed for specific programs at specific institutions.

MACRAO is an acronym for the Michigan Association of College Registrars and Admissions Officers. The MACRAO Transfer Agreement is a pact between signatory community colleges and universities in Michigan providing for the transfer of general education requirements.

It means that the student has completed the following requirements:

English Composition - 6 credit hours
Bay courses are EN101 Rhetoric and Composition and EN102 Research Writing.

Science and Math - 8 credit hours
At least one course must have a laboratory. Courses must be taken in more than one subject area.

Social Science - 8 credit hours
Courses must be taken in more than one subject area.

Humanities - 8 credit hours
Courses must be taken in more than one subject area. Completion of these requirements will transfer these courses and credits as a block to the signatory university and meet their lower division general education requirements. Some institutions may have additional requirements in addition to MACRAO. Consult with your transfer institution.

The Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA) is an agreement between all public community colleges in Michigan and the 15 public universities in the state as well as a number of participating tribal and private colleges and universities in Michigan.  It is designed to facilitate the transfer of general education requirements from community colleges and universities.  Students who complete the minimum 30 semester hours of college-level courses with a grade of 2.0 or higher in each course within the six specified categories will fulfill all or the majority of the student's lower-level general education requirements dependent on the requirements of their major.  A transfer student must be eligible for admission to a receiving institution in order to benefit from MTA.  The MTA is applicable to all students enrolling in a Michigan community college for the first time beginning Fall 2014 and supersedes the MACRAO Transfer Agreement.  Students may meet the requirements as a stand-alone package.

Coursework for MTA
The 30 semester hours of coursework needed to meet the MTA are:

  • One course in English Composition
  • A second course in English Composition OR one course in Communications
  • Two courses in Natural Science from two different disciplines; including one with a laboratory experience
  • One course in Mathematics:  Quantitative Reasoning, College Algebra or Statistics
  • Two courses in Social Behavioral Science from two different disciplines
  • Two courses in the Humanities and Fine Arts from two different disciplines; excluding studio and performance courses

A student completing this program will have "Michigan Transfer Satisfied" on his/her transcript. All courses used to satisfy MTA must have a grade of "C" or better.

The student may have to take additional general education courses at the transfer institution

Contact the Transfer Advisor who will contact the college/university to determine if a guide can be developed. Students can follow the general/undecided transfer guide which will indicate specific courses that will fulfill general education requirements at the transfer institution.

Meet with our Transfer Advisor. Usually if there is a problem it can be resolved by providing more information or clearing up a misunderstanding. Keep in mind that it is the transfer institutions decision about accepting a credit(s) for transfer.

No, but it may be to her/his advantage to do so. Certain college or universities may require an associate degree for their transfer scholarship awards. Some programs require a student to take lower division prerequisites that would preclude completing a Bay degree first. In some programs it may be to the student's advantage to transfer early. Students should always consult with her/his transfer institution for advice.

Students leaving Bay prior to earning an associate degree or certificate may transfer back credit to Bay from another college/university within one year of leaving Bay to fulfill their program requirements. Reverse transfer credit procedures can be found on our website.

Grade point averages do not transfer; rather credits transfer. However, transfer institutions will use a student's GPA for admissions requirements. Course grades may be used to determine if prerequisites have been met.

Removal of failing grades from Bay's computation of grade point average will not apply in transfer situations. Transfer students should be made aware that their transfer institution will recalculate their Bay GPA's and add back in any failing grades. Transfer students may select to retake the course(s) with a failing grade, rather than utilize this policy.

Not necessarily. Some universities require a higher exam score (4 or 5) for AP credit to apply. Colleges of Pharmacy do not accept AP Chemistry exam scores any longer. Students should be directed to contact their transfer institution. In most situations this information can be found on college or university web sites.

Generally, no. Advanced standing credit are articulated agreements between Bay and area high schools or intermediate school districts. Students should be directed to contact their transfer institution.

No. Students should be made aware that while a Bay departmental exam may satisfy our degree requirements, these credits will not transfer.

The institution who will award the student's final degree. Just because Bay College may accept credit(s) for transfer to fulfill one of our degree requirements, it does not necessarily mean that another transfer institution will do the same. Students should be directed to contact their transfer institution.

Decide on a major early, explore colleges and universities, visit college campuses, communicate with her/his faculty advisor or transfer advisor, follow either the Associate in Arts or Associate in Science curriculum, take courses that will transfer for her/his specific degree, and take personal responsibility. Transferring to another institution can be seamless; however, it is the student's responsibility to take ownership and know what she/he needs to do and do it on time. The student must be aware of the criteria that must be met at the transfer school and program of study.

Students who elect to reverse transfer credits for degree completion must do the following:

  • Before leaving Bay College complete an Application for Graduation Form. Submit the form to the Registrar for an official degree audit to be performed. When the audit is completed, a letter will be sent to the student indicating the requirements they must meet to earn their degree or certificate from Bay College. They should indicate on the application their intent to apply reverse transfer.
  • Students should contact the Registrar or Director of Transfer and Student Advising for an appointment to determine what courses are considered equivalent for fulfilling the remaining requirements. Students must complete all program requirements including the number of credits necessary for the degree.
  • From the Transfer Institution: After successfully completing the determined course(s) with a C or higher, the student must request an official transcript be sent to the Admissions Office at Bay College. It is the responsibility of the student to inform the Registrar or the Director of Transfer and Advising at Bay College that a transcript has been sent for the purpose of fulfilling their program requirements.
  • Bay College will notify the student when degree requirements have been met. The degree will be conferred and a diploma or certificate sent to the student.

Each year a number of students transfer to a 4 year college or university after one year of study at Bay College. There are a variety of reasons for transferring early, but the reason given most often is "my program of study requires me to transfer after one year." Students should be aware that most programs of study do not require early transfer and by staying at Bay for the second year there are a number of advantages both academically and financially. Here are some reasons to consider staying at Bay College for two years prior to transferring:

  • To earn an Associate Degree (which is encouraged by a number of universities).
  • To obtain the Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA) stamp (although this could be obtained in one year if courses are selected carefully.)
  • To avoid taking large enrollment General Education classes at the university.
  • Students are admitted to the "university" as a sophomore, but not to a "college" (such as the College of Engineering or Education) until their junior year.
  • Financial savings of approximately $5,000-$7,000 a year, when comparing tuition, fees, room, board, books, travel, and personal expenses.
  • To avoid being taught by graduate assistants who teach many of the freshman and sophomore level classes at the universities.
  • Transfer scholarships are not always available to students who transfer after one year.
  • Bay College advises students to transfer at the appropriate time, and in some cases, only one year is recommended in programs such as music, surveying, and a few others. If you are unsure of when you should transfer, please see your advisor or a counselor. Transferring to a university is an important decision and all students are encouraged to carefully consider the academic and financial aspects of that decision.